Monday, August 11, 2008

Another piano?!? Oh, no!!!

Well, just a note to tell you about my new piano. Brother Blatnik from our ward has told me several times about his old German piano in his garage. Last week he told me that if I wanted it, he would give it to me. Well........how could I pass that up.

So --- this morning I went to see it. He hadn't uncovered it for 30+ years. He moved his car and we took the heavy cover off of it and it was amazing. The finish (at least what we could see) was shiny and nice. I couldn't see all of it, but what I saw, I liked!!!

You know how some pianos have three panels in front? Well, on each side of the middle panel, is a place to hold a candle for light. I can hardly wait to set it out where I can really see. The ivories are all there but they are sooo yellowed from not being in the light. I think they may lighten up a bit when left uncovered.

I called a piano technician when I got home and he feels I should have it inspected before moving it. Maybe he's right. It is sitting across a dolly so that it can be moved. I hope I don't bring home a nest of spiders. Yeck!! Well, are you all saying - "Oh, no. Not another piano!" Or - are you saying - "Sounds like Mom, (Granny). I can hardly wait to see it myself." Where am I going to put it? Well, I really thinking about that one. ha ha. I could relocate the organ and put it in the living room next to my other piano. Or, if I could get it down the hall, I could put it in my bedroom (unlikely). But, you can be sure, I will find a spot. Maybe, take out the counter in the utility room and put the organ in there. Or Skip would like the organ. Maybe it's time to give to someone who may use it more than I have lately.

If you have a suggestion (besides leaving it there) let's hear it. But, I think you will really like it. It's very beautiful. Haven't seen the back, yet, though. I think I will call the piano guy and ask him to inspect it. It'll cost $45.

Oh, I have to tell you about a funny thing Grandpa said. He put cereal in his bowl, as usual, and when I said that he shouldn't mash it down, he told me that it was in the directions that he was supposed to do that. I asked him to show me where, but he didn't. And, he didn't stop mashing the cereal down. ha ha

Love you all, Granny

1 comment:

Josh, Christy, C,N,J, and A said...

He he he. Grandpa's Funny. I like him. I think you should give one of the piano's to me and that will free up some space in your house! That's probably the best idea i've heard...LOL